We love winter sports and events – we embrace the cold and snow!!
Big River Resort is open and here to assist you in making the most of your winter visit to our great small town!
We can suggest dining, shopping, activities, and sights to see! Here is just a sample of the activities you can enjoy:
- There are lots of eagles wintering in the Wabasha area – you will have no trouble viewing eagles to observe and photograph! Then take the time to see and learn about eagles at the National Eagle Center.
- We have a small wonderful ski hill called Coffee Mill Ski & Snowboard Resort. It is a wonderful place for families and groups with children. If you haven’t skied before, they offer “learn-to-ski” discounts for first timers. The more experienced skier will appreciate the fact that they have the longest vertical drop in MN south of Duluth.
- Opportunities for cross country skiing or snowshoeing are many. Frontenac State Park offers all levels, groomed classic with overlooks of Lake Pepin. Kellogg has intermediate to advanced trails through beautiful forests and over creeks.
- Wabasha area has a large network of groomed snowmobile trails. The trails will take you to many of the small towns in the area – you will have so much fun!
- The backwaters of the Mississippi River provide for good ice fishing, just remember to dress warm!
- Our main winter event is our Grumpy Old Men Festival, held this year on Friday & Saturday, February 28th & 29th. Live music, grumpy plunge, ice fishing contest, spaghetti dinner, and other fun activities will keep the family entertained!
Hope you can join us – we are open and ready to help you plan your stay!